20 September 2007

lazy bum

I have been incredibly lazy today. Woke up at 9:30, turned over and did some business on the Internet without getting out of bed, finally got up and took a shower around noon, got dressed in order to go grocery shopping but then realized I wouldn't need groceries for another couple of days so went back to my bed and the computer. Have pretty much been here all day with the exception of the shower and finding something to eat for lunch. Since I don't teach today I have little incentive to get moving.

At 7pm tonight I'm meeting another Facebook friend (for the first time in person) in front of the KFC at Atocha. Yes, they have KFC here, and you can find both McDonald's and Burger King within a block of it. I haven't eaten at any of them since arriving in Spain, though I did check the KFC menu to see if they had buffalo wings. No go. I did eat lunch at Pizza Hut one day during the course. It was pretty good. Pizza Hut isn't really my bag in the U.S., but it's not bad here. Anyway, am meeting this friend who has just spent a year teaching Spanish as a foreign language in the U.K. I imagine we'll have much to talk about. Plus she seems really nice. Then, depending on what time we say goodnight, I might go have dinner with one of my friends from the course and some of his friends at an Indian restaurant. I'm allergic to Indian curry, but I can at least have some saffron rice and garlic nan. (Or is it naan?) Do so love the garlic na(a)n.

My evening clases start next week, for which I am grateful. I've been enjoying the time off, but I'm also looking forward to having a fuller schedule of classes. Is possible my Tues/Thu lunchtime class will also be starting next week, but I'm not sure yet. It may not start until October. And I've finally set up a private class for myself, so starting Oct. 2 I'll be teaching a 13 yo girl general English for an hour a week. I was hesitant to take a class with a kid, but it's only for an hour a week and it might be nice to have some general English classes in the mix.

What else? Found out the morning classes I'd agreed to take with one agency are a 2-hour commute one way, so I had to go in & break the news that I wouldn't be taking them after all. I would've had to get on the train at 6am to get there in time, and then I wouldn't be back until noon. No thank you. Was surprised at the reaction I got: no arguing or guilt-tripping; just acceptance. I asked whether they could find me some classes closer to the center a couple mornings a week instead, and they said no problem. Goodie.

Kez made green Thai curry last night. Was good, but a little too hot for me (i.e. tastebuds went on strike after three bites). Think I will make up my own plate from now on & put more rice and less sauce. She said in her book it was "mild." Holy cow! The girl likes her spice. Have promised to make pasta with a cream sauce soon, as pastas w/ cream sauces are my specialty.

No comments:

Post a Comment