04 August 2007

Mullets and kids abound

I´ve had a special request for some observations about the people here. This I can tell you: mullets are in, as is having kids. I didn´t understand mullets the first time, and I´m absolutely horrified that they´ve been resurrected in any part of the world. And not only are many male Spaniards wearing mullets, but some of them take it even a step further and DRED their mullets! OH, THE HORROR!!! And then there are way more small kids and pregnant women than I ever remember seeing in 2001. Maybe it´s because I´m in the north of Spain this time, or maybe the birth rate has increased in the last 6 years...but there are little kids everywhere. Noisy, spoiled little buggers they are, too.

What else? Most Spaniards seem very cold to me. They don´t smile at each other unless they know one another. They don´t look you in the eye. The don´t seem to like it when you smile at their dogs or their kids. They don´t seem open to connecting with strangers. I never considered Americans particularly friendly until I realized how cold the Spanish could be. But there have been some very kind people here too...the owners of our hostel here (La Alianza) are exceptionally kind, and there have been a few very kind bar/restaurant owners too. And of course my Facebook friends are very kind and open too. Willing to put up with all my inane questions about the culture/daily life here, willing to entertain a couple of American women and take us around for drinks & tapas.

No comments:

Post a Comment