05 August 2007

Madrid again

I´m still feeling homesick...especially, for some reason, when I see parts of American made-for-TV movies dubbed into Spanish on the TV...but am much much better than I was before. After some glitches, have settled into my room & that feels good. Then got bored because I have no book to read or Internet to play with, so I´ve come out into the street for Internet and food.

School starts tomorrow. I´m excited, but nervous that I won´t make it on time. The travel alarm clock I bought in Santiago is only good for telling time and sucks as an alarm clock (i.e. doesn´t go off and I swear it´s not operator error this time). But luckily I have roommates to impose upon. Met a second one today, Pedro, who is a professor of Geology at the university. Seems weird to me that a professor would have to share an apartment with three other people, but maybe he prefers to live with roommates until he gets married. Have yet to meet the third, Laura, though she´s supposed to be around during the week.

That´s about it for now. Oh, except to report that the streets smell alternately like food and urine. (Someone asked.) Except today, because there were a couple downpours (HOORAY FOR RAIN!!!) so there was also the sweet smell of summer rain on hot pavement. I love that smell.

No comments:

Post a Comment