13 August 2007

having finished my first teaching practice

Today at 2pm I had my first teaching practice session, to a group of pre-intermediate students. Although I was nervous to begin with and felt I talked too much the whole way through, overall I think I achieved my learning objectives (as they call them in this course) for the lesson. The feedback from the teacher-observer was much more positive than I had anticipated, and she managed to couch her constructive criticism in a way that was easy for me to hear and I agreed with all of it. I teach again on Thursday, this time to upper intermediates...a group that is notorious for always bringing the conversation around to sex. I think we'll get on very well. ;*)

After the teaching sessions, we were informed that a couple women from a new language school outside of Valencia were visiting and we had the opportunity to interview with them. I did, and here is the gist: guaranteed 12 hours a week, 3 hours a day for 4 days, with a salary of 700 Euro per month. The cost of living in Alzira--a town of 50,000 about 30 min. outside of Valencia--is much lower than in Madrid. For example, one could share a flat for about 150 Euro a month as opposed to the 350-500 Euro a month one would expect to pay in Madrid. The teaching job would include everything from children 4 years old all the way up to business English for adults. The school is just starting, so the directors hope to build a clientele and to be able to offer more teaching hours and greater salary in time. The position is a contract position and I would be expected to stay through June. (I neglected to ask about Christmas break, so I don't know what the expectations are regarding that.)

So what do you all think? What are the advantages and disadvantages to taking a position like that, if I'm offered it? What other questions would you ask about the circumstances? They will want an answer by the end of the week. Your input is greatly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment