08 August 2007

Just Call Me Grumpy Grumperton

It's Day 3 of the course and we're all exhausted already. Not a good sign. Hoping it will pass. Was extremely grumpy and impatient today...suppose it doesn't help that I haven't really had anything to eat. I wasn't hungry at lunch for some reason, so I just had a little bit of tortilla espanola (kind of like a french omelette with potatoes in) and a Diet Coke...only here they call it Coca Cola Light because a diet just means all the stuff you eat and does not mean that you're trying to lose weight by modifying your eating habits. Now I am hungry, but I haven't gone to the supermarket for food and I don't have time to go out to find something because I have so much homework. Tedious, tedious homework that takes for f'ing ever and does not seem to help me much. And am very confused now because our instructor insisted today that "caught" and "bought" do not rhyme with "spot" in American English. She is Australian and when she pronounces the words there is a noticeable difference in the vowel sounds, but I'll be damned if I can hear the difference in the vowel sounds when I say those words. Did not want to have a long drawn out argument about it but must admit that I felt a little offended, like she was suggesting that I don't know my own accent. I tend to think I have a pretty good ear for languages too. Whatever.

So yes, I'm grumpy today. Nothing more to say about that really.

Brynn--thanks for the note. Actually would LOVE to hear about assessment drama at this point, as it might remind me that I have it pretty good right now. =*) Though I have a hard time imagining there is much happening in that quarter right now. Isn't all the faculty still on vacation?

Joe--No, there's no wireless router, just a modem. I'm going to have to wait to see BSG. Am hoping my friend Chris will get the episodes for me so we can have a marathon over Christmas break.

Chris--Hint, hint! =*)

Mom brought up an interesting point in relation to my previous post about becoming a different person. Her observations helped me realize that one of my main motivators for wanting to live abroad and travel the world is that I want to feel more comfortable and at ease in the world...to expand my comfort zone by first stepping out of it and then making myself comfortable in a completely new and foreign situation. I think this relates to my perception that I am "different" (which I know pretty much everyone thinks about themselves) and that I don't really "belong" anywhere. If I don't belong anywhere in particular, I might as well belong anywhere at all, right? Though of course the strength of that theory is somewhat lessened when I remember that I do think of Portland as home. I do feel I belong there.

But enough for today. Back to the homework and then to bed for what I pray will be a very refreshing night's sleep.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete