14 October 2007

not a madrileña

I have to admit: even though I think I´ve tried really hard to like Madrid, it´s not my ideal city. I know there are lots of people who are very happy here, but I want to live in a beautiful place with beautiful architecture and be able to see mountains. Sevilla doesn´t have a mountain view that I remember, but it´s a gorgeous city, so I was more content living there (culture shock aside). I´m a little disappointed that Madrid is so ugly. It´s not to say that there´s nothing beautiful in Madrid, but the overall impression I´m left with is not favorable. Ah well.

Shannon thinks I´ll feel better about living here once I have money enough to start traveling. I´m sure she´s right. And my realization about Madrid doesn´t change my plans for that very reason: I still want to travel and this is an easy place to travel from.

Today Shannon is taking me to a great big park called Casa de Campo, just a few stops up the metro line from our ´hood. There´s a lake there and some hills and something approaching wilderness, so I´m very excited to see that. I so miss the mountains and trees and green of Oregon. I´m sure this won´t be the same, but it might give me just enough of a fix to keep me going. I´ll take some pictures so you can see what it looks like too.

On the upside, the gathering I arranged last night was a smashing success, despite the fact that the bar I´d had my heart set on closed 20 minutes after we got there and we had to go elsewhere. Unfortunately no pics of that. I´ve been very bad and have not remembered to take my camera with me when I go out. I´ve made a mental note to do something about that. So far has not sunk in.

3 comments:

  1. your right. madrid is a cockroach infested, dog-shit covered, scumhole.
    the worst is, every madrileno thinks they live in a city that's just as, if not more, beautiful as paris. get out as soon possible, trust me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. when did you live in madrid and why are you so anti-?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i lived there for two years. the people are arrogant, self-obsessed, and to be honest, not very intelligent. madrid is the capital city of tack. everyone's a caricature of themselves, you know? no three dimensionality. for example, old women hangin' out in groups of 4 to 6, ALL of them wearing fur coats.
    the city is just plain ugly. but then again, i've realized most of everything coming from spain is not to my liking, visually. from the El Corte Inglés logo to Picasso, from the MULLETS spaniards are so keen on sporting down to the colours of to their national flag...everything.
    in fact, my dislike for Madrid is so intense I could go on for pages. Just trust me...move to Paris or London or Milan, or Barcelona even. Just get out of there before you start thinking cops wearing bidets on their head is normal, and that the local bread loafs aren't hard as rocks but "just different".

    ReplyDelete