17 October 2007

Do you realize that here it is, mid-October already, and the weather in Madrid every day is sunny with highs in the low 70´s? Meanwhile Portland is having lovely normal fall weather I see: highs in the 50´s and rain every day. It´s just so completely odd. Supposed to be like this all week, and then next week temps drop all the way into the high 60´s. The only thing that makes it fall is that the overnight lows are in the 40´s, so the mornings are chilly and the afternoons are warm and people run around getting colds because there´s a 20 or 30 degree difference between morning temp and afternoon temp and we´re putting on and taking off layers all the time and going from the chill air outside to the sauna of the metro. I bought orange juice last night because there´ve been so many people on the trains sniffling and sneezing and coughing and I don´t really feel like getting sick again so soon.

I have to say, though, that when you´re walking around in the afternoon, the temperature here is just about perfect and the sun on your back feels lovely. And though I´m complaining about the weather here, part of me is also secretly enjoying it. I´m just nervous about the possibility of getting sick again. And I would like to wear my lovely green peacoat but so far it´s been too hot.

Last night´s craving: a chicken deluxe burrito from Laughing Planet. Hold the cilantro.

Special moment today: a mother in her 30´s helps her young son take a dump in the sidewalk planter in front of the community medical center. Am really trying to understand and appreciate the culture that allows Spaniards of all ages to do their business--sex as well as potty--in public.

No comments:

Post a Comment