21 January 2008

walking home this morning

I know I am no great beauty. I am not the type to inspire poems or wars (and then poems about the wars). Nevertheless I am flattered when, on my walk home from my morning class, a relatively handsome man in his early thirties waits until we are passing each other and then says, "Mama mía" in a voice so low only he and I can hear it. It's just his way of saying "Hey, you're looking good today." And not in a creepy, sexual-predator kind of way.

A couple minutes later I stop behind one of the littlest old ladies ever. She is waiting on the corner for a van to finish backing out of a driveway. She and I agree: waiting is better than getting backed over. As the van clears the curb I see that it's a transport for senior citizens. The company's motto, writ large across the front of the van, is "Seniors First!" Ha ha ha ha!!

No comments:

Post a Comment