25 June 2008

Notes


1. Saying goodbye to all my students is sad. I've had such a good time with them over the last ten months, and they're all so friendly, affectionate, inclusive, funny, fun-loving and wonderful people. I know I'll probably come to love my German students too, but Spanish people are special. They freakin' rock.

2. Last week I learned the difference between un coñazo, una mierda and una putada. Un coñazo is a boring situation; una mierda is something bad that happens but is really no one's fault; and una putada is something bad that someone does to you. Hm. Still need to find out how una porquería is different from all of the above. Anybody out there happen to know?

3. The amusement park on Saturday, for example, could be considered both un coñazo and una mierda. We waited in line for an hour just to get into the park, and then every ride we went on (I only went on 4 or 5) had a wait of at least an hour. The park was chock-full of teenagers scoping each other out, making out, horsing around, smoking in line. So in addition to it being hot and us spending a lot of time standing around sweating, I felt like the oldest woman alive. Note to self: amusement parks not so much fun after high school.

4. Part of the atmosphere of a Spanish bar or cafetería is all the noise. In fact, the people who work in these places seem to go out of their way to make as much noise as possible: really loud milk steamers, loudly banging freshly washed dishes around, calling out orders to each other from opposite ends of the bar. And then there are the customers, who are quiet when by themselves but if you get a group of 3 or more become rambunctious. I have to say that it all seems rather jovial and fun when you're in the mood, but when it's my first coffee of the day it's a bit of much.

5. Speaking of morning coffee, while I was getting one this morning at about 9am a guy came in and sat beside me and ordered a bottle of beer. At 9am. Which only further proves my point that the Spanish don't consider beer to be an alcoholic beverage; they see as a cool refreshing drink when you need a cool refreshing drink. Period.

6. The five basic Spanish food groups: pork products, fish & seafood, potatoes & bread, beer, eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment