14 June 2008

13 days 'til Mom arrives!

Am just counting the days until Mom comes and I leave Spain. On the one hand I will miss my students and the friends I've made here, but on the other I'm so so SO excited to see my friends and family at home.

This weekend is a busy but pleasant one. On Thursday I went to my students' informal futbol match and then to a nearby bar for tapas and drinks afterwards. Those boys are always so nice to me, true gentlemen, and it's a good opportunity to practice my Spanish.

Yesterday afternoon my friends Marta, Emma and Laurel came over and I made lunch of macaroni and cheese, buffalo wings and salad. Yum yum yum! Used the entire bottle of Frank's hot sauce in one go, but it was so worth it. They turned out great! Then last night was the farewell party of Mary, who has been doing TtMadrid administrative stuff for the last couple of years and is now going to San Diego to start law school. We went to a bar near the Plaza de EspaƱa that also has a dance floor in the basement. I danced for hours and had an awesome time.

Today I get to lie around all day but tonight I'm going to a friend's birthday party. I think the friend might even be DJing the party.

Then tomorrow (Father's Day!) I think I'm having lunch again with Emma, Marta and Laurel, and in the evening I think Meaghan and I are having a movie night.

So clearly I am staying busy. My social calendar is filling quickly since time is running short and everyone wants to have a last hang-out before Mom comes and I'm effectively gone for good.

I'm so excited to be coming home! I can feel Oregon calling to me, can feel its air in my lungs, can see the mountains and beaches and rivers and lakes and the high desert, can feel my friends' embraces, hear their voices and laughter...mentally I am there already; I'm just waiting for my body to catch up.

No comments:

Post a Comment