22 March 2008

Fussen, Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau


Bavaria in a nutshell: mountains, rivers, lakes, woods, rolling hills, green fields, rapidly changing weather. Would be absolutely perfect if the winters were just a little shorter!

On Saturday the 15th Craig and I went on a day trip to Fussen and from there to the bus to Hohenschwangau, where two of King Ludwig's castles are. The countryside and the castles were amazing...though I have to admit I was too cheap to pay the entrance fee for the castles so we didn't actually go inside either of them. Nevertheless, the trip was worth it. They're spectactular from the outside AND we got to take a hike in the Bavarian hills because that's the only way to get up to Neuschwanstein.

The town of Fussen isn't much in itself, though it did have a very cute little shopping street, a nice view of the mountains and some decent food. If I were going to stay in that area, though, I would probably opt to stay in Hohenschwangau, which (if I'm not mistaken) is the name of the village nestled between the two castles. It's tiny but gorgeous, and one could do a lot of hiking from there.

To see the rest of my pictures from Fussen et al, click on the title of this post or copy and paste this link: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=33727&l=fd282&id=595126014

No comments:

Post a Comment