25 February 2008

On turning 29


Something in me says that I *should* feel freaked out about entering the last year of my 20's, but I'm not. I'm actually more freaked out about the fact that I don't feel freaked out than I am about turning 29. I wonder if maybe I just take everything for granted and whether I'm really understanding and appreciating this whole ageing thing or whether I believe I'll stay young and indestructible forver. (Well, my search for a vampire lover hasn't ended, so I suppose it's possible.)

I suppose it also helps that I look several years younger than I actually am...the true crime in American society for a woman is not in getting older but in looking older.

Also, for me birthdays aren't so much about getting older as they are about celebrating the fact that I'm alive. My birthday is a time to count my blessings, as they say, and I have to admit that my life is pretty darn good.

Starting simple: I have a warm apartment in which all the appliances function. I'm in reasonably good physical condition. I have a job I enjoy and money enough to afford the basics and then some. I have wonderful, supportive parents. My families are fun and funny and loving. My friends are intelligent, compassionate, interesting and caring people.

Taking it up a notch: I've been to good colleges and have had the opportunity to live in four states on two coasts, not to mention in Spain twice. I've explored a variety of jobs and have found a field that I'm passionate about (i.e. teaching). I've traveled a bit in Europe and around the States. Most importantly, I'm blessed with a good head of hair. =*)

There's also a lot that I'm still looking forward to in life, including more travel, learning to sew and cook better, finishing my trashy novel and a multitude of other writings, owning dogs and maybe even a house, eventually setting up my dream inn/retreat in the woods...etc.

Long story short: I feel very lucky to have such a good life and I am optimistic and excited about the future's possibilities. I'm glad to be alive (thanks Mom and Dad!!) and am grateful to all the people who make my life fun and worthwhile. (Is that cheesy enough for you?!)

3 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SIONE! Wishing you a wonderful day and a wonderful year.

    Aunt Deb, Uncle Bret, Cousin Erin and, of course, Miss Nala.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea you grew up in four different states. I thought you were from Oregon, for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've lived most of my life in Oregon, but I've also lived in Rhode Island (2.5 years), Virginia (1 year) and Massachusetts (1.5 years).

    ReplyDelete