02 December 2007

weekend: a retrospective

Got a late start to the weekend, as I had to make up a class on Friday afternoon at one of the companies I work in and then I had a private class in my neighborhood that went until 7:30pm.

My Friday private student´s name is Alba. She´s a 16 year old girl who studies hard, is very sweet and probably isn't overly popular at school. Over the course of the last two months, I've taken to calling Alba's mother tía and calling Alba and her sister Leticia mis primas. It's a joke between the four of us because they treat me like an adopted family member, and every time I call Gloria tía she cracks up. On a whim I decided to bring some fresh guacamole to their house this week so that they could try it. After my lesson with Alba, in which she railed against her tyrranical English teacher and reduced herself to tears once again, we all crammed into the dining nook and they tried the guac. I hadn't used much seasoning, so the guacamole wasn't spicy, but the whole family stuck their tongues out and fanned them with their hands, all the while exclaiming "que picante!"

As a result of the snacking period I arrived back home at 8pm, the same time I'd told my friend Alan to show up for dinner. I had planned to be at least halfway through the cooking process by the time he got there, but in the end he was happy to help me chop things and then to find videos of Beatles songs on YouTube to entertain us while dinner finished cooking. We drank chardonnay (bought at a specialty wine shop for €6.75, which is quite pricey for wine in Spain), ate pasta, watched YouTube videos and chatted about books, TV shows and our respective existential crises. Good times.

On Saturday afternoon Shannon and I headed to our friend Ishmael's house to help him celebrate his birthday by eating ten pounds of salty food (each) and watching the entire Bourne trilogy. There were six of us: 5 women and Ishmael, all of us TtMadriders. I was stoked because I hadn't seen the Bourne trilogy before, and I was not disappointed. All of us women spent pretty much the whole time making comments about Matt Damon's hotness between movie lines, and Ishmael's true birthday present was a sneak peak into the filthy female mind.

Today I woke up a little after noon and have been lesson planning and eating leftover pasta. Am excited because this week is a short one: Thursday and Saturday are national holidays, so my work week ends at 3:15pm Wednesday. Over the long weekend I plan to do a little socializing in Madrid as well as take a couple day trips, one with Shannon on Friday to we-haven't-decided-where and one on Saturday to Segovia with Alan. He hasn't been before, and I want to go back to get a look inside the castle.

17 days until I'm home again!!! =*)

No comments:

Post a Comment