19 December 2007

in the Newark airport

So far have been traveling (including time it took to get to the airport) for approximately 13.5 hours. Ack! Our plane left Madrid about an hour late, but we arrived in Newark only 30 minutes behind schedule. Was surprised that passport control and customs were so friendly and non-threatening. Guess I am used to being treated with some hostility, though I suppose I only really have my England experience for reference.

When I checked in at Barajas this morning they gave me my boarding pass for the Newark-Portland flight also, and my ticket informed me that my flight time had been changed. Originally I was supposed to fly out of here at 5 something and arrive at PDX at 9pm, but now I'm not flying out until 7:25pm and arriving at PDX a little before 11pm. Nutters. I like airports and don't really mind waiting around, but I am anxious to get back to Oregon. But am happy to be back in the U.S. anway, which is odd because I was so impatient to leave it behind. Guess I have a newfound appreciation for my country. It's so clean and civilized, and people actually make an effort to appear friendly when you speak to them.

I cried a little in the Barajas airport this morning because I am so grateful to be coming home. I slept a lot on the plane, watched some TV, and tried to imagine going back to Madrid in two weeks. My heart rebels against the idea. But I am committed. At least until the end of February. Then I can reevaluate the situation.

But it's silly to think about that now. I'm going home! I might have Taco Bell for dinner tonight! I get to see my friends and family for the next two whole weeks!!! My tears are tears of love and gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment