30 July 2007

Vamos pa´ Galicia

This afternoon Julie & I are headed to Santiago de Compostela in Galicia. I´m looking forward to being on the coast...perhaps will not be so hot there. The heat here yesterday made me feel nauseaus! Not being able to eat much yet & doing so much more walking than I´m used to probably doesn´t help. Hmph.

Finished reading the new (and last) Harry Potter yesterday afternoon & then took a 3 or 4 hour siesta. We took it easy last night, wandering out of the hostel around 10pm to find a little food & hard cider at a nearby Irish pub before returning & going to bed. The pub was nearly deserted when we got there, which was a nice change from the pressing crowds we´ve experienced everywhere else. Julie´s hoping Galicia will be less crowded, but I´m not so sure that will be the case, since it´s my understanding that it´s where the Spaniards take their vacation.

Met the directors of TtMadrid (my TEFL school) today. Mom had sent me a FedEx there, so Julie & I went by to pick it up. Natasha & Temura are both very friendly...and they like Harry Potter. =*) Temura hasn´t read HP yet, so I promised to give her my copy of the book when I get back. Natasha is from England & will be running the school on General Yagüe, and Temura is Australian & will be running the school I´ll be attending on Atocha.

Am feeling a little better (mentally, physically, emotionally) everyday, though I still view every person as a potential pickpocket and I´m not ready to think about being here until December, much less until June or July. I´ve wanted to get back on the plane home since my wallet was stolen, and I´ve finally convinced myself to at least stay for the TEFL program. Once I´m there, maybe it will be easier to imagine staying longer. But every day that goes by that I´m not stolen from again gives me more strength.

1 comment:

  1. Hola,Sione - been thinking about you. We arrived at your Mom's about 10 minutes after you called with the "wallet" news. So sorry it happened, but it's just "stuff." We're all so thankful you are o.k.

    Have a WONDERFUL adventure!

    ReplyDelete