27 July 2007

safe arrival

I´m on pay Internet, so I need to make this brief. I did arrive safely in Madrid, although 2 hours late, and did not get any crap from the police about my birthdate on my passport not matching the birthdate on the customs form. Yay! Spent the time on the plane trying to sleep, read Harry Potter, not throw up (motion sickness), and freaking out in the manner of "OH MY GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE???" Julie was waiting for me after baggage claim. Yay! Then we took the Metro to our hostel and my wallet was stolen--literally right from under my nose. And s/he took my cheque book too. Not-so-yay...but at least all I had in my wallet was 2 credit cards and a phone card. Credit cards have been cancelled. Mom is sending me backup, and I still have my traveler´s cheques.

I MISS MY MOM!!! (And, of course, my friends, but mostly right now I could use a hug from my mom.)

Will post more in another day or two, but that´s all for now.

2 comments:

  1. Sione...

    Yeah... you made it! Bad news on the wallet. A tough way to start but at least you have a friend with you which can make all the difference. I just finished Harry Potter last night... lot's of tears. O.K... good luck with the rest of your extended vacation... consider your wallet lesson #1 with many more positive lessons to come!

    Brynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you didn't get hassled in customs! I'm sure it would have been a different story if you had any of the notoriously dangerous foreign seeds and fruits. Many a customs officer has been held up at banana-point. It's a global issue, really.

    Sorry to hear about the wallet. Getting your stuff stolen is some kind of rite of passage, I think. I certainly got a similar 'welcome' when I travelled to Sevilla. Sorry, nonetheless. I'm glad they didn't get anything much out of their grifting. Jerks.

    Girl, I miss you. Send photos. When you can. Your stereo system is in good hands. If the speakers are blown out by the time you return...I'll buy you a new set. It's just that I'm known as Carly "Blow-out" Brynelson in some parts of the state. I also have such monikers as "Drain-o" (car battery issues of yore) and Snarly (certain times of each month).

    Hey, my phlebotomy class has pictures of our stabbings on the Oregon Phlebotomy training website. Google it and look at the summer 2007 class if you are wondering what I'm up to. That's probably what it'll look like no matter who I end up working for. I'm moving tomorrow! YAYYYYYY! NO more I-5!

    LOVE YOU!

    -Carly Jeanius Galore

    ReplyDelete