06 July 2007

small revelation

I think the whole bidet thing starts to make a lot more sense when you think about the logistics of a sewage system not designed to accept toilet paper. In Spain you are not supposed to flush your used toilet paper; you're supposed to throw it in the garbage. But if I were to use toilet paper there like I do here, that would mean I'd be emptying the wastebasket quite often and would have to use latex gloves to do it. So I was trying to think about how that would work & why I never saw wads of feces-stained toilet paper in the wastebasket during my homestay, and I think the bidet is the answer. Think about it: if things get messy, you just shift over & wash it off rather than using a ton of toilet paper. Seems like it would be much cleaner too, 'cause you can never get 100% clean with toilet paper in my experience.

I feel silly spending time thinking about how I'm going to go to the bathroom in Spain, but it's amazing how complicated things can get if flushing toilet paper is not an option. Ah, the things we take for granted about our culture. Who knew I'd have to relearn potty protocol???

No comments:

Post a Comment