14 November 2007

100th post

This is my 100th post on this blog. Feel like I should celebrate or something. Perhaps with a dark chocolate petit ecolier. ;*)

Two important-ish details I forgot to mention about my trip to Nottingham.
1. I bought a block of Irish cheddar cheese and brought it back with me. It was a little greasy on arrival, but a few hours in the fridge resolved that. Yum! REAL cheddar!
2. While I was visiting, Sam helped me get video clips (with my digital camera) of all the people in his family and everyone on our team at quiz night repeating a crucial line from the movie 40 Year Old Virigin. We got everyone to say, in their adorable English accents, "She´s a ho. Fo´sho´." Video clips available on Facebook for those of you who are on it.

I really don´t have much news to report. I´ve been reading Margaret Atwood´s Cat's Eye, which I am enjoying even though it's slightly disconcerting and sad and which makes me feel calm and emotionally steady. Probably due to the simple, straightforward way in which it's narrated. I've also been thinking about what I want to do with myself next (i.e. after Spain). Of course I want to settle in Portland, but I don't think I want to temp forever so I'm trying to figure out what kind of job would suit me. Ideally, it would be something I could wear jeans to and for which I wouldn't have to get up at 6am. Something that involves responsibility and problem-solving skills. Something that has a varied or flexible schedule. Possibly with travel, though not too much travel. I've thought again about teaching college and that does appeal to me, but there are problems with that option. First, I'd have to go get a Ph.D., which would probably entail leaving the state again for four more years. Not appealing. And then it's getting a job once I'm done with my program. Most college professors know and accept the fact that you can't be in the profession and be too picky about where you live. But of course I am incredibly picky about where I want to live. I want to live in Portland, period. That seriously narrows down my chances of getting a tenure-track position because there are only so many colleges in and around PDX. I´ve also thought about becoming a writer, but I´m not sure I have the self-discipline required to actually make money at that. On the other hand, I could always just temp for a while and hope that I fall into something satisfying. Who knows. Could work out.

Have noticed that I am starting to gain some weight back. Possibly my body has adjusted to all the walking here, but I'm sure part of it is due to the fact that I have actually been eating 2-3 meals a day plus snacks, whereas before I was down to one meal a day and 1-2 snacks. I've also figured out how to walk a little less by taking the cercanías more, and I´m more likely now to sit down on the metro or train when a seat becomes available than I was before.

Today I saw a Christmas catalog on someone´s desk and I got that sweet pang in my heart I associate with love and peace and home and good times. I realized I miss receiving catalogs in the mail. Stupid but true. I like to know that there are beautiful things in the world, and I like to think that at some point I might be able afford some of them. Anyway, I could really go for a Christmas catalog about now. To see the snow, however fake, and the lights and green boughs and warm sweaters. I love that kind of stuff. But instead I´ll have to content myself with listening to Christmas carols. At least until I get home.

I´ll be home 5 weeks from today!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment