19 June 2012

Merging


I’m all bent out of shape over
some b---- who
couldn’t take no for an answer.

I’d merged way back when
where I was supposed to, and
she rode the line until
the last minute
and tried to cut in front of me.

I kept close distance
Between my car and the car
in front so she f---ing honked
at me, angry gestures ahead, like
I’m the one to blame.

Do you think that just because
you ask for something
I have to give it to you?

I gestured too and yelled
at her through my closed window, “Why
the f--- didn’t
you merge back there?!”
She shook her head, disgusted
with me, and inched forward
anyway.

I wasn't willing to hit
her car, so she won the battle.
I called her a f---ing
b---- while waving wildly
At her back.
She didn’t seem to see me.

I want to explain
To her I want to say,
“Look.
I’m coming out of
A long, dark time in my life
When I didn’t know what I wanted, or
I knew and couldn’t ask, or
I asked and didn’t get.
When others’ desires seemed
more important than mine
always, and I
didn’t feel I had the right
To insist.”

Maybe that is her story too.

No comments:

Post a Comment