18 June 2012

The Eleventh Commandment

Truths claw at my guts,
struggling to get out,
making me
first ravenous
then nauseous.
Nervousness,
jitters, and
a sour stomach.

When we say a thing
gone long unsaid,
the truth is released
from its prison in our cells
into our bloodstream:
a toxic rush.
Only then can it find
a way out of our bodies,
through sweat, blood,
urine, shit,
tears.

Our tears are laced
with poison.
When I speak a long-buried truth aloud,
I shed poison.

In romance novels
it is not uncommon
for the heroine to cry,
and the hero to kiss away her tears.
He would erase her pain
by taking it into his own body.
How romantic.

But know this:
My tears are sacred.
Thou shalt not kiss them away.
Thou shalt not dismiss my pain with your lips.
"Kiss it better" does not apply here.

No comments:

Post a Comment