13 July 2012

Paris vs. Madrid: Revisited

I've noticed that one of the most common search terms that directs people to this blog is "Paris vs. Madrid," so I went back and read the post I'd written in November 2007 (four months into my year there). I cringe a little bit at reading it now. I don't disagree with it, but I have a different perspective because I learned a lot more about Madrid and visited Paris twice more after I wrote it, so I'd like to follow up with some further thoughts about the relative merits and disadvantages of each city.

Cost
Hands down, Madrid is far more affordable than Paris. The average cost of a fixed price menu in Madrid was around €8 in 2008, where the average cost in Paris was around €12. A cup of café con leche in Madrid was around €1.30, compared to €2.50 in Paris. Transportation via metro system is the only thing that's relatively comparable. In Paris it's only slightly more expensive: €1.70 for a one-way trip anywhere in Zone 1 vs. €1.50 to go anywhere in Madrid's Zone A.

Transportation
Speaking of the metro system, I want to add that Madrid's metro system is much easier to get around in than Paris's. As I mentioned in that earlier post, it's newer and cleaner too. Getting around in Paris's Zone 1 isn't bad, but trying to get to Charles de Gualle airport by train was a nightmare. For the life of me I could not figure out how to read the schedules (why is it so hard???). Made it eventually, but with much hassle.

Language
You may have heard that people in Madrid don't speak English and people in Paris do; that's about 75% correct. Most people in Madrid know at least a little English, but they won't speak it because they're too shy or embarrassed. Just as you are shy or embarrassed to try speaking Spanish, perhaps? My experience is that Madrileños really appreciate it when you make an effort to speak Spanish and will be very generous and patient with you. It is true though that people in Paris also speak English, and they are far more willing to do so.

I have also heard that Parisians are extremely rude about non-native speakers trying to speak French, but this has not been my experience. I talk a lot to random people when I travel because I spend a lot of time in cafés and bars and restaurants (nom nom), so I do have some basis for an opinion here. Of all the people I spoke French with, there was only one person, a waiter, who seemed snotty about my imperfect language skills, and the solution to that was to go to the café next door instead. Easy. Otherwise, the people I spoke with in Paris seemed very pleased that I was making an effort, and they would teach me a little, in a kind, encouraging way.

People
I found lovely people in both places, but I find Madrileños to be more friendly in general. You just have to understand that friendly in Spanish culture does not mean greet-you-with-a-smile, and their communication style is much more direct. In English we might say, "What would you like today?" In Spanish they'll say, "What do you want?" It's not rudeness to them. It's informal, which is how they like it. I wrote a post about this on the TtMadrid blog back when I was living there. Check it out. I would say that if you are being ignored in a bar or restaurant, probably it's because you failed to greet them when you walked in. Always say "Hola" and try to make eye contact when you enter any store, bar, restaurant, etc. It's just good manners.

This post is bordering on too long, but stay tuned for more follow-up. I've been reminiscing about my favorite places to go in each city.

No comments:

Post a Comment