24 July 2012

Literary Journeys: First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones

I recently read First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones and highly recommend.

It's a funny paranormal romance about Charlie Davidson, who's a private investigator and also happens to be the grim reaper. Yep, she sees dead people, which makes her very useful to her uncle, who's a homicide detective. But she's also being haunted (more or less) by some kind of supernatural being who gives her amazing sex dreams that begin to eek into her waking life. Hawt.

I like that the female protagonist is a strong woman with a wicked sense of humor and a devil-may-care attitude. She's similar to Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum (another series I like), but slightly less dependent on men to bail her out of rough situations all the time. (Slightly.) I like that it's a quick read. I like that I got sucked into it immediately (while standing in the middle of Fred Meyer at the sale books table) and it didn't let go until I was done.

I can't wait to buy the next one in the series (out in paperback), except I will wait because I know I'll want to devote an entire day to doing nothing else.

No comments:

Post a Comment