12 August 2008

Munich plans

So I've worked out a tentative plan for Munich based on my goals for the experience, the most important of which will be to write the first Lilly Frank novel.

I have decided not to look for teaching work right away. I have enough money saved from Madrid to live for two months without working, so for the first month I am going to take an intensive German course (Mon.-Thur. 9am-12pm) and spend the afternoons writing.

If after one month I decide that I want to stay in Germany longer than two months total, I will need to find paid work, most likely TEFL again but I am also open to the idea of working at a doggie day care or an English language publication or something similarly fun and in alignment with my interests.

I plan to stay in Germany long enough to write at least the first three chapters and a synopsis of the rest of the book so I can start sending it out to agents.

Some of you already know that I have also started a second writing project: I'm collecting all of my blog entries as well as my journal entries and random bits I wrote down in various notebooks while I was in Madrid and putting them all in chronological order. When I've finished with that I'll decide if it's something I want to edit and send out as a book for publication.

It would be a sort of travel confessional. I'm not sure I've seen anything else like that so far, but there's got to be a first time for everything.

The main thing for me right now is that I'm excited I'm finally going to focus on my writing and really try to be a writer as a career instead of just having it be something I do while I'm working other jobs. It's a big, scary step for me. Until now I was content to believe that my failure was due to insufficient effort. I will no longer have that excuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment