09 November 2012

November weight loss goal

Between Dec. 2011 and March 2012, I lost 20 lbs, going from 180 to my goal range of 155-160 (but mostly 160). There have been a few moments since then when I actually got down to 155, and I was amazed at the difference between 155 and 160. In my head it doesn't seem like that much, but it feels and looks very different to me. So I decided I wanted to get down to 150-155, thinking maybe then I could get into a pair of Size 8 jeans again without fat spilling out over the waistband. It really ruins the silhouette.

Unfortunately, one of side-effects of my smoking cessation efforts last month was a propensity to Eat All the Things, which meant that I gained some weight. Only a few pounds, but I'd already planned to try to lose a few more pounds this year, which makes it just that much harder. But okay. Here we go: November goal of losing 8-10 lbs.

Things were looking good for my weight-loss goal when I woke up on Nov. 1st with food poisoning. (As I said earlier this year and my friend Joe likes to repeat often, "I'm only one illness away from my goal weight.") Unfortunately, the diarrhea and vomiting only lasted for a couple hours and couldn't have given me more than a 1-2 lb. head start. But I'll take a small advantage over no advantage.

Since then my weight loss plan this months seems to consist mainly of eating pizza, cheese-laden burritos, and pasta in cream sauce. But I believe you can eat whatever you want and still lose weight, so long as you eat in moderation. For example, I did not consume half a pizza in one sitting; I only had two pieces. And that cheese-laden burrito with refried beans on the side? I made sure to order the burrito with shredded lettuce (counts as my vegetable for the week), and I only ate half of it at a time and so got two meals out of it.

Probably the most effective part of my strategy is the walking. I am walking two miles a day now, which is an improvement, and I've already seen results in the form of dropping a couple pounds and feeling more energetic. Depending on what time of day I weigh myself, how much clothing I'm wearing, what stage of my menstrual cycle I'm at, and how many potato chips I ate the night before, I'm back down to 160. Next week I'll start walking 3 miles a day and/or incorporate some steep hills into my walks.

I figure if I can get down to 154-ish this month, I can continue the good work in December and lose those last few pounds. Then I will feel sleek and energetic and will finally be at my goal weight just in time to spend my Christmas cash on Size 8 pants and a glittery blouse for New Year's. Oh boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment