17 November 2012

Lost in the forest

Took a minute to check in with myself today, and here's what I got:

When I reach in to get a sense of myself, I find a wide-eyed, mildly confused person who's lost and wandering aimlessly, trying to find a way out of the woods or at least to some place that makes sense as a place to be, for example a clearing or a cottage.

In other words, I fail to recognize where I am now as a valid place to be because it doesn't appear to have any recognizable landmarks. And yet I'm certain that if I looked around I would find animals who've made their homes here. Life among the branches and roots of these trees. And if I paid close enough attention I could begin to recognize the trees as individuals rather than thinking they all look the same.

Question is: what would be the consequences of stopping to really look around? Would I get lost in cataloging this corner of forest and forget about how much more there is to explore? Would I realize I already have everything I need right here? Would I be able to stop long enough to recognize the uniqueness and validity of this place and then be able to move on with a greater eye for detail and a better appreciation of the entire forest rather than just its clearings and cottages?

No comments:

Post a Comment