29 September 2012

Octsoberfest

Yes, you read that right: Oct-sober-fest. I am giving up drinking alcohol for the month of October.

Today is the first day of my self-employment (eek!), and I've decided to quit smoking Oct. 1. As much as I like to smoke, I don't like being addicted, and my experience is that it's easier to quit smoking when undergoing a big life transition, such as a job change. Another reason for quitting smoking is because it's damned expensive, and I can use all the financial slack I can get now that I'll no longer have a steady paycheck coming in.

Which brings me to the drinking: I have a tendency to chain-smoke when drinking, so I figured it'd be helpful to lay off the booze for a while. It'll also help me cut back on expenses, and it'll be an interesting health experiment. I'm curious about how I'll feel--whether I'll have more energy and be more clear-headed--when I'm not drinking 2-3 times per week.

I mentioned these goals to my co-workers at last night's farewell happy hour, and one of them expressed concern that they were too lofty. "That's a lot to take on all at once," she said. Perhaps. I imagine she was worried that I might get down on myself if I don't follow through. But the chance that I may fail is, to my mind, not a reason not to try. And besides, I have support: my friend-neighbor is also giving up smoking with me, and I have the support of other friends and family, including my regular drinking buddies, for which I am grateful.

So we shall see how it goes. Am a little bummed that I have to wait until November to try the bottle of fancy tequila my thoughtful, wonderful (ex-)co-workers bought me, but perhaps the delayed gratification will just make it that much sweeter.

1 comment:

  1. even if you fall off the wagon, you can climb back on. go for it!

    ReplyDelete