13 June 2009

Next Up: England & Wales

The last time I went to England was two autumns ago. I went to Nottingham to visit my friend Sam. The immigration officer who gave me the third degree as I came into the country was quite rude (as usual); 2 tall mochas at Starbucks cost $10; the Robin Hood exhibit at Nottingham castle was disappointing in the extreme as it was based on a new TV show airing in England at the time; I attended a real English pub quiz (at a church) and multiple people of various ages let me video them saying "she's a ho, fo' sho'" in their English accents; and I generally had a fantastic time bumming around.

The time before that my mother and I spent two weeks on what I called "The English Major's Geek Tour." The trip was a present when I graduated from LC with a B.A. in English. We started in London and drove in a big circle, hitting things like Jane Austen's grave, Bath, Stratford-upon-Avon, Oxford, a few parts of the Lake District, Edinburgh, York. On that trip Mom and I discovered that we travel remarkably well together...except when driving is involved.

This trip there will be no driving, just a lot of walking, some train-riding, and perhaps even a little busing and ferrying. We intend to spend about 8 days, with no schedule or reservations, meandering along the north coast of Wales (bore da!) and then another 8 days (with schedule and reservations) hiking the Cumbria Way, from Ulverston to Carlisle. I am very much looking forward to coming back with a new body. =*)

No comments:

Post a Comment